Review of Community Schemes Legislation
The Department of Customer Service is seeking feedback on proposed reforms to community schemes legislation and has released drafts of the Community Land Development Bill 2019 and Community Land Management Bill 2019 for this purpose.
The proposed legislation completely rewrites existing community schemes legislation and aligns with the major reforms that were incorporated into the strata schemes laws in 2015.
The new laws make community land development more flexible and will provide residents and commercial occupants with modern, flexible and democratic governance arrangements.
Key measures in the proposed new laws include:
- improving transparency and accountability in the way schemes are managed
- providing greater flexibility to deal with association property
- simplifying dispute resolution within schemes
- reducing red tape by targeting the documents needed to be lodged with a plan
- encouraging greater participation of scheme members, owners and tenants, including through the use of technology.
For more information about this review, and to view the draft legislation, visit the NSW Fair Trading Community Schemes Reform page.
Consultation closes on 28 February 2020.